For Movie Lovers

Click on Blog Title to view the actual movie clip.
Enjoy!!!

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Toto, we are not in Kansas Anymore


My family arrived at SLC airport feeling excited, scared and worn out from emotional goodbyes. As we took in our new surroundings, my eleven year old son turned to me with a confused stare and simply stated, “MOM – There are only white people here.” He has always been an observant little fellow. We noted his comment and moved on. Heading down the escalator towards baggage claim we were bombarded by a large (I mean LARGE) blonde haired family waiting to welcome home their grandpa. They were holding an extremely long banner that read “Welcome Home Elder Jones”. Of course we were drawn to this homecoming as the whole family was brimming over with excitement. Down the escalator strides a handsome YOUNG man and the whole family starts screaming and crying and embracing him. It was heartwarming, but we wondered… where was grandpa? Oh well- weird- we spotted our luggage and started our new life in Utah.

3 comments:

Rebecka said...

Jill, Congratulations! I'm glad you got started. I think you have so much to share. Can't wait to read more.

Elise said...

When I first moved here, just before the holidays, I met a woman at Wal-mart who was complaining that not only does she have Christmas to prepare for, but her daughter was getting married on January 5th. She went on to complain about her daughter's mother-in-law-to-be, claiming she was scatterbrained and neglectful. I tried to give the woman the benefit of the doubt and asked if perhaps she was stretched too thin because she had a large family. Response was, "NO! She only has 5 children!"

So, in Utah, 5 children is not considered a large family.

When I got home and glanced at a calendar, I saw that January 5th was a Thursday! Surely, I got the date wrong because people don't get married on a Thursday! Then I learned that people do, in fact, get married every day of the week!!!

Nana said...

Way to go Jill! I love the format and name of your page...I'm sure you will get lots of stories...I loved the one about "only 5 children"...Enjoy your journey!