For Movie Lovers

Click on Blog Title to view the actual movie clip.
Enjoy!!!

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

"How Dare You! She's a Nice Lady!"







Today's Op Ed section in the Salt Lake Tribune included a typical self rightious letter from yet another judgemental Utahn. Have a read:






Unhealthy "Idol" Music

"I watched the recent finale of “American Idol,” and I am happy about the two finalists Scotty McCreery and Lauren Alaina. Both are winners in my eyes, for their music and wholesome personalities.

Nevertheless, I was shockingly abused by much of the emotionally unhealthy music presented during the show, and by all the immodesty and erotic dancing. I hope Americans realize that immodesty is visual profanity.

“American Idol” blocks out verbal profanity. Sure wish it’d have the sense to block out the visual profanity, erotic dancing and unhealthy music.

Better yet, I wish it forbid them in the first place.

“American Idol” is as out of control in its moral values as Congress is in its deficit spending! '"





Merlin Ross
Sandy

Really???? How many judgements can one human being make in a few paragraphs. I do agree that both Scotty and Lauren are lovely young people with loads of talent and I also enjoyed their "wholesome personalities". However, that is where Mr. Ross and I part ways. He was "shockingly abused"??? How exactly was he abused??? Last time I checked he could change the channel on his television set anytime. I guess someone must have had him chained to his couch and made him watch the "emotionally unhealthy music...immodesty and erotic dancing". Just curious...what exactly is emotionally unhealthy music???


Mr. Ross believes immodesty is "visual profanity". Huh??? I suppose he must be an authority on what is "immodest". The beehive state loves to spout that "Modest is Hottest" and is often critical of those who choose clothing with bare shoulders or exposed thighs. Clothing is a personal choice and it really is not appropriate nor nice for others to make assumptions about someone based on those choices.



Mr. Ross also claims the show had "erotic dancing". He must be referring to Jennifer Lopez and Lady Gaga. Both performances were fabulous in my opinion and I don't expect Mr. Ross to agree - that is what makes the world an interesting place. What I do find offensive is his moral judgement of these artists. Anyone who has watched Idol this season has seen that Jennifer Lopez is an overwhelming kind and caring human being. Furthermore, anyone who knows anything about Lady Gaga also knows she is abundantly generous and loving to ALL her fellow men and women. It seems clear whom is behaving badly and it is not any of the women on American Idol. So, I say to you Mr. Merlin Ross,





"HOW DARE YOU!!! SHE IS A NICE LADY!!!!"




1 comment:

Cindy St. Clair said...

Hi Jill!

I just came across your blog, and would love to hear more of what you have to say! I'm the producer of Fresh Living on KUTV, and we'd love to have you on the show this week for our Mom's World segment. We'll be talking (honestly) about raising non-LDS kids in Utah.

I'd love to talk to you more about this. Give me a call!

Thanks!

Cindy
2newsfreshliving@gmail.com
801.839.1257