For Movie Lovers

Click on Blog Title to view the actual movie clip.
Enjoy!!!

Saturday, February 23, 2013

"Say hello to my little friend." Tony Montana in Scarface

Yesterday's headline read, "Guns front and center on the Hill".  Of course, they are.  The population of this state loves their guns!  I am always about full disclosure, so I must admit I don't own any guns, and I don't understand some people's obsession with them.  Having said that, I also have many friends who are gun owners and I don't have any desire to "take their guns away".  I understand the second amendment and am very aware that it is here to stay.  I do, however, believe in sensible gun legislation along with better access to mental health treatment to deal with the violence that pervades current society.  I fully understand we cannot stop all crimes, but we still have laws and many of them are quite successful in curbing behavior that endangers members of our society.  Mothers Against Drunk Driving did not throw their arms in the air and proclaim they would never be able to stop everyone from ever getting in a car after drinking.  Instead, they fought hard for sensible legislation which has had a significant effect on drunk driving violations and accidents.  Those are the facts!  I realize, some of you don't deal in a factual world because as Stephen Colbert so eloquently said, "reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Anyway, enough pontificating!  Here in Utah, our legislators are busy making it easier to access guns.  One bill would allow Utahns to carry a concealed weapon without a permit.  Another would allow local law enforcement to arrest federal agents who attempt to seize guns from Utah residents.  February 20th became known as "Gun Day" on Utah's Capitol Hill.  Super!  I may have mentioned we have an embarrassing public education system and virtually unbreathable air, but our legislators have more pressing items to discuss.  After all, in March 2011 Utah became the first U.S. state to name an official state gun,  the Browning Model 1911 automatic pistol.  I guess I shouldn't be too worried...the poor air quality will probably make me too sick to even notice the guns.  That is  until, some person who should have gotten a back round check before being sold a gun shoots up another mall, theater, or school. Way to go legislators for yet another "bang up" day on the hill.  








  

No comments: